GENERAL MONTHLY MEETING MINUTES

4 April 2017

 

Opening

The General Monthly Hibiscus Coast Meeting was called to order by Karen Elliott, at 19:10 pm on Tuesday 4 April 2017 held at the Stanmore Bay Fishing Club.

 

Present

Karen Elliott, Tom Bailey, Sarah Champion, Ian Robertson, Dave Tilley, Rachel Hessey, Raymond Greenfield,  Nick Salmon, Sylvia Holding, Joe Saunders, Alan Mellor, Jeff Royle, Reg Werner, Grant Hanley, Keith Smith, Donna Cheriton, Mike Holding, Simon O’Brien, Nicky Kenny, Justine Sanderson, Jason King, Rob Williams, Graham Maskell, Rick Oliver, Matt Turner, Nigel Shaw, David Maritz, Dale Hodson, Matt Van Der Linden, Fiona Rist, Tom Bailey, Steve White

 

Apologies

Dan McGowan, Alex Wilson, Greg Daniel, Neville Modlin, Stuart Robertson, David Brittain, Mark Manhire

 

 

Crews for week

Crews for the week read out – Manly Week.

 

Jobs

Sat – Couple of tows and a search for kayaker separated from his mate off Browns Bay.  Been quiet over last month.

 

Previous Minutes

No matters arising from the minutes of the Previous Meeting held March 2017

                                                                                                            Approved Jeff/Matt                                                                                                                        

Presidents Report – presented by Karen Elliott for Dan McGowan

·         Congrats to the three new ops [Fiona, Dave Brittain & Keith Smith – ed.] and to Raymond [and Dan for their Senior Operational – ed.].. Great to see all the training paying off

·         Cheque collected for $1500 from the Hibiscus Coast Boating Club as the proceeds from the fishing comp they ran in Nov (with us as beneficiaries). Gave a short talk about what we do and answered a few questions

·         Congrats to Jenny and the Shore crew for a successful initial Z Good in the Hood application.  Expecting to hear from Z Whangaparaoa. More to come.

·         Thanks to Rachel for coordinating resources for this weekend’s soapbox derby. It’s really important everyone gets in behind this as the organizers require man (and woman) power and we are a beneficiary of the event.

·         Upcoming talk to Men’s shed coffee club in May

·         Karen, Donna and I attended a CNZ supporters event at MRC, only a handful of volunteers there (from ACI, Hibiscus and NS) and it was nice to be invited and speak to some individuals who support Coastguard financially

·         A few things happening around the refit but Raymond will update everyone. CNR putting a grant application in to NZCT on our behalf.

·         $20 000 donation from the Lion Foundation

 

Approved Justine/Nicky

 

 

Crew Chief Report – Karen Elliot

The supporter event CNZ held at MRC went well, about 70 members of the public who gift monthly, have left a bequest in their will, or donate to CG attended a morning tea, a talk about CG in general from Patrick Holmes CEO of CNZ and a real story of Buz and Oisin told by one of the rescue boat skippers and then the guys themselves!

https://www.coastguard.org.nz/information.php?info_id=267

They then got to chat to a few volunteers (only us 3 and the crew of NS rescue who bought their boat along, were there) and have a look over ASB and Alpha and the radio room.

Welcome David Maritz into our unit.

Approved Raymond /Dale

Maintenance Report – Raymond Greenfield

Not much to report on with maintenance.  Pontoon black strips repaired/replaced. 

Update on refit.  Due to requirements from CNZ that we have to now apply for Grant Funding, 2 sets of quotes have to be obtained and the scheduled work has been postponed as this process is followed.  Due to the nature of the work needing to be done at certain stages and very much dependent on the timetables of the suppliers providing the service, refit could be late July or even August. 

Approved Rick/Oliver

 

Training Report – Donna Cheriton

Congratulations to those who recently competed and passed their assessments; Raymond & Dan to Senior Operations, David Brittain, Fiona Rist & Keith Smith on achieving operational.

 

Looking to organize Nav assessments end of April & another set of operational hopefully coming through soon. 

 

                                                                                                            Justine/Matt

 

Safety Report – David Tilley

From safety there are only a few updates. There are some items of equipment due for servicing and replacement being undertaken this month.

One reported incident on Hib 1 with crew person hitting their head on the front hatch when heading out to deal with lines. This is a known hazard and no further action required.

Currently updating the monthly boat checks for both Hib 1 & 2 to include the towing equipment included on our towing equipment list so that we record they are checked monthly. I am looking to put together a sheet for both boats highlighting what to look for when checking the equipment.

Myself and Karen will be setting up a review of the MOSS documentation so that we can check where we are and then discuss anything that we feel should be amended.

 

                                                                                                                                              Approved Nicky/Jason

Recruitment Report – Rachel Hessey

We currently have two new recruits Sarah and Rob. If you haven't already introduced yourselves to them, please make sure you do and make them feel welcomed. Crew leaders, please let me know when you have space on the boat.

 

Thank you to Dale and Livvy, Matt Turner, Fiona Rist, David Maritz and Jacqui Maskell for attending the recruitment drive day yesterday. Unfortunately we didn't have any enquiries, however we were able to complete the boat checks, and clean up the shed a little.  You may notice some of the wet weather gear is missing - Jacqui and I have taken a selection home to wash and dry.

 

Finally as mentioned in my email we have some serious holes to fill and bodies required for the Soap Box Derby this weekend. Remember we are one of the benefactors of this event - but to get the money we need to give the time. So please let me know when you can help out.

 

Simon/Dale

 

General Business

 

Steve White attended and spoke about his upcoming sailing adventures up to and around the Pacific Islands.  He has a blog under sailblogs on his Facebookfacebook page or look up www.yit.nz to track Steve and Adrienne.  He expects to be back to NZ in October.

 

Keith on New Ops Assessments

Keith gave an overview of how the day went on the Saturday for himself, Fiona and David.  A tough and long day, all agreed happy relief at it being reached.  Something that came up was that assessments are not just about testing to be following a tick box procedure to be followed a 100% correctly but a guideline – and depending on the situation on the day they may need to change.  Robb Henry as the assessor likes to throw curveballs.

 

Raymond on Senior Operational Assessments

With Dan only able to get to boat on the Sunday at  11:30, Raymond enjoyed Robb Henry’s full attention from 9am with some tricky CQM in the marina.  A very windy day made things challenging but keeping a cool head under pressure is the only way to get through.

 

Robb Henry has some recommendations for the unit that came out of the assessments which Donna will share at the next meeting. 

 

Meeting closed 20.00

Comment